This grand heritage building was once considered the flagship building of technical education. Designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Government Architect WE Kemp, it was built in 1891 and became one of the first technical colleges in the NSW public education system. The three storey brick building has an internal area of approximately 6,000sqm. The ornately decorated central staircase bisects a central corridor running the length of the building with offices presented either side. After various changes in use since originally being constructed, the primary design objective was for the adaptive reuse of the building so that it could accommodate the modern day operational needs of TAFE NSW Head Office.
Scope of works comprised strip out of existing non heritage office construction; preservation of nominated heritage items; forming new and widening existing apertures, (to afford greater circulation between work areas); sympathetic office construction; bathroom upgrade works; extensive services upgrade works including full lighting replacement and data reticulation; new floor, wall and ceiling finishes (including refurbishment of existing) and joinery, workstation and furniture packages.
All works were undertaken without any compromise to existing campus facilities, including onsite childcare services.
Rork Projects duly met and exceeded our obligations under NSW State Government’s Aboriginal Participation in Construction plan.